[News] [Linux] The $100 Linux Laptop Presented in Long Island Linux User Group

dotCOMmieLilug, OLPC presented by John Palmieri (2007)

,----[ Quote ]
| Recording of Long Island Linux User Group (lilug.org) talk on OLPC by John
| (J5) Palmieri.
`----

http://www.archive.org/details/LILUG_20070508_OLPC

Related:

One laptop per child and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| For once Microsoft is getting the reverse Linux laptop experience:
| little support and little documentation for the hardware. The result
| will be a platform that doesn?t include any of the really novel
| features that we're building in, bad power management, no systems
| management via the firmware and apps that will randomly crash because
| they can't fix the virtual memory problem in the same way we're
| approaching it. A second class citizen, to be sure.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=285

OLPC project clarifies: no plans for Windows support

| According to Walter Bender, president of Software and Content at OLPC,
| there is no agreement in place between OLPC and Microsoft to offer XO
| laptops with any version of Windows. Bender also indicated that
| Microsoft has not contacted OLPC regarding its $3 software bundling
| program, nor have any governments requested that the XO be outfitted
| with Windows. In short, there is no existing collaboration between
| Microsoft and OLPC aimed at outfitting the XO laptop with Windows.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070502-olpc-project-clarifies-no-plans-for-windows-support.html

One Laptop Per Child clarity

,----[ Qote ]
| The bulk of the confusion and conspiracy theorising which accompanied
| the recent announcement seems to centre on this point.
|
| The specs were not boosted to accommodate windows...
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1481

OLPC Linux laptop could succeed in U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptop features a string pulley to charge its battery, a keyboard
| that switches between languages, a digital video camera, wireless
| connectivity, and an open-source Linux operating system tailored for
| remote regions.

OLPC: Free Software Still Rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Jepsen tells us, politely, to calm down.  The plan is still for the
| XO to ship with OLPC's custom Linux-based Sugar operating system,
| and she hasn't seen demand for anything else on the XO. "The issuehasn't
| presented itself. Most people love Sugar."
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/04/olpc_free_softw.html

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/