Re: Linux and the Granny Test

  • Subject: Re: Linux and the Granny Test
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 23:37:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Robin T Cox ] on Monday 28 May 2007 22:51 \__

> On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:32:55 -0700, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and on my desktop. It was "as easy as
>> pie". It was *FAR* easier than installing either WinXP or Vista.
>
> As a matter of interest, has anyone actually conducted the experiment of
> having their granny install Windows and Linux on a machine, and
> scientifically compared the results?
>
> Or, has anyone actually compared their granny using a pre-installed
> Windows machine versus a pre-installed Linux machine for the first time?
>
> The usual comparison, in practice, loads the dice in favour of Windows,
> because the Windows is always pre-installed whereas it's a big ask to hope
> that granny is going to install Linux.

Not anymore (assuming big OEMs). Dell sells Linux.

The author tried Linux for just one week, having used Windows for over a
decade. He ought to have come from a Solaris or Mac OS 9 background...

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
roy      pts/6                         Mon May 28 09:37 - 09:39  (00:01)