Re: Rumour: Intel and Microsoft Sabotage Production of $100 Linux Laptops

> __/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Friday 25 May 2007 18:54 \__
>
>> Let's not forget that Intel is one of the main stockholders of RedHat,
>> gentlemen.
>
> This may be true, but there are many reasons why Intel is scum. Here's the
> latest:
>
> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=567AEF5D-8797-42E0-9C84-1A7ED7F29755
>
> Just because a criminal pays out (think the Gates Foundation) does not mean
> the crime can simply slip away. Many of it is self serving, to get people
> off one's back. In the case of Intel, they need Red Hat's love (particularly
> for servers).

Intel is a very large corp, and like most such businesses in caught in
the middle of a supply chain being disrupted by a disrupted technology,
they have a nasty tightrope to walk in order to remain in business.
There is a huge up-curve of linux machines, continued massive growth,
but from a long way back.  There is a falling trend in Windows machines.
Intel's real problem is to try to back both horses for long enough to
avoid an inter-min, better still try to get it to an intermax (most
unlikely to succeed).  Intel were one of the founders of OSDL, and as
far as I know, remain a major backer of the Linux Foundation; they were
the major authors of the ATCA specification for open-servers, and
remain, in general, very pro-linux indeed.  However, they are a very
large business, and must be expected to protect themselves against
possible major threats.

The best solution here would be to engage with them in production of the
OLPC machines, perhaps offer them the possibility of supplying chipsets
for some machines, at least, if the price is right.  It's important to
keep in mind that they have been as much a victim of Microsoft as most
businesses, although have benefited more than most, too.  That said, I
do /not/ condone their involvement in damaging the OLPC Project.