Re: [News] [Linux] Linus Torvalds Says Solaris is C**p

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Saturday 26 May 2007 16:17 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linux: The Case Against Crash Dumps
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Comparing Linux to Solaris he [Linus] added, "so the fact is, Solaris is
>> | crap, and to a large degree Solaris is crap exactly _because_ it assumes
>> | that it runs in a 'controlled environment'."
>
> I never thought about it -- but that's absolutely right!   Linux is the
> only
> OS that is designed to run on all types of hardware.   Every (EVERY) other
> OS is designed for specific platforms or chipsets.   Even, Windows, for
> example, never crossed over to the Mac.
>
> In some sense, the JVM was an end run around that issue -- if the OS can't
> flex around the hardware, we'll add a new layer to the OS.
>
> And in another sense, Linux and JVM are in competition...because Linux is
> also a "compile anywhere" technology that makes all its code transportable
> across all hardware.

It's true only if you talk about (trivially) compilable O/Sen like Gentoo, or
else...

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=545&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/mag/graph.png

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
Cpu(s):  23.5% user,   4.6% system,   0.6% nice,  71.2% idle