Re: [Rival] New Windows Application, from Russia with Love

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 22 May 2007 15:50 \__

> On May 21, 9:24 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Key-logging worm wriggles out of Russia
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The program is an updated version of the Gozi Trojan horse program
>> | which uses advanced Winsock2 functionality to hack into encrypted
>> | SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) streams and send the data back to a
>> | server in Russia.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39754
>>

> I don't see how any security effort the bank might make could be
> helpful when users are infected with a keylogger.  The article doesn't
> mention that the Gozi virus only affects Windows.

I guess it's implied, or else the platform would be mentioned. Of course it's
a problem to those who assume that computers /ARE/ inherently Windows (down
at the 'mechanical' level).

For keyloggers, the accepted protection involves shuffling numbers/characters
and requesting non-serial input. One could, however, grab the framebuffer as
well. The key point: a PC that is not controlled by its owner can mimic just
about any action the genuine user would take. Password are often saves
locally as well, in one place or another (e.g. PDA backups, unencrypted). If
only one PC of mine got hijacked, I'd have to change hundreds of passwords.
It would involve so much time and become a nightmare. You never even know
the damage that was left behind, e.g. silent deletion of some files, account
breakin, E-mail abuse...

I cannot imagine ever relying on Windows when it comes to securing anything.
Sadly, some companies store details about us on Windows servers. Rarely do
the breakins get detected, let alone reported in the media.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
roy      pts/6                         Tue May 22 15:34 - 15:34  (00:00)