Re: [] Smart People at CERN Choose Linux. As for Windows Users... Well...

"nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> On May 21, 8:19 am, John Locke <johnlocke98...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 21 May 2007 07:36:51 -0700, "ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>
>> <ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >An amazing article.  As far as testing the limits of user stupidity
>> >is concerned, what I'd like to see is a test that requires them to
>> >follow some instructions on installing software, including entering
>> >a root password.

>> I don't think they're stupid..I have a bunch of clients that are very
>> well educated highly intelligent people, but when it comes to
>> computers its like someone turned on the ignorance button.
>>
>> I think people have simply been conditioned to leave there brains
>> in the hnads of Microsoft. You don't have to think, we'll do the
>> thinking for you. Sad state of affairs.
>

> Yes, I agree, it's arrogant and unproductive to call unexperienced
> users "stupid".  But a good interface doesn't allow disastrous
> mistakes to be made easily.  Like when your children click on a link
> to a drive-by download, and that's all it takes to get infected.

True, they should be called what they are.  Ignorant.

"Ignorant" has gotten very bad press recently, people tend to class it
with "stupid", whereas it actually means without knowledge.

These people are certainly without knowledge when it comes to computers,
and therefore accept the assurances of someone (Microsoft) who they
believe has much more knowledge of computers than they do.

The problem arises when the someone they turn to does not have their
best interests at heart.