Re: [News] [Linux] Preservation of One's Rights and Freedom with Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Preservation of One's Rights and Freedom with Linux
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:58:43 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 20 May 2007 15:41:22 +0100
<1470803.B1eO5KMHWP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> What's wrong with Microsoft Windows Vista?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Free software like GNU/Linux does not require you to consent to these
> | absurd licensing terms.

It does, however, require consent to licensing terms.
I have 858 files in /usr/portage/licenses, for example
-- and presumably I'm legally required to consent to all
of them.  (I'm going to have to dig a bit to see which of
these are duplicates.  I did find 793 unique md5sums;
clearly some of them are exact duplicates.)

> | It is called free software because you are free
> | to make as many copies as you want, and to share it with as many
> | friends as you want. Nobody will be monitoring your actions or
> | falsely calling you a thief.

Depends on the license.  Most GNU derivatives, of course,
will allow this.  Some software, such as the Doom III demo,
will not allow arbitrary modification.

I would hope most of my /usr/portage/licenses entries
are GNU-derived.  But it's a lot of text to wade through.
One hopes it's reasonable. :-)

> | What you can do to help protect your freedom
> |
> | There is a battle underway between those who value freedom, and
> | corporations such as Microsoft who wish to profit by taking that
> | freedom away. DRM and absurd licenses are at the heart of that
> | battle. Please join us on the side of freedom by saying NO not
> | just to Windows Vista and other DRM-enabled products, but to
> | proprietary software in general. Instead, use non-DRM, "free"
> | software such as the GNU/Linux operating system. You can get
> | your work done while ensuring that your rights and freedoms
> | will not be restricted now and into the future.

Depends on the work.  I'll admit I do wonder what freeware
can't do, but it's clear that one could put interesting
(and rather arbitrary) restrictions on the problem, such
as not allowing the copying of certain files just because
they happen to have a special system code that indicates
that they were created by a large media concern.

That one's enshrined into law, regrettably.  A "copy bit" is
mentioned somewhere in the DMCA -- I forget exactly where.

> | As more and more of our lives become digital, it is vital that
> | we protect our digital freedoms just like we have always worked
> | to protect our freedom of expression in print and speech.
> `----
>
> http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista

Nothing wrong with Microsoft Windows Vista that a reinstall won't fix.
(A reinstall, that is, of a proper OS -- Linux. :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);