Re: [News] Documents Revealed Which Show WIntel's Sabotage of $100 Laptop Project

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 21 May 2007 20:07 \__

>> Watch the following video:
>>
>> OLPC on 60 Minutes
>>
>> http://olpc.tv/2007/05/21/60-minutes/
>>
>> Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop
>> | a gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a
>> | vicious fight between AMD and Intel, he said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39733
>
> It is despicable when greedy corporations try to force non-profit
> organisations out of business, and turn what was an altruistic gesture
> into exploitation. It is clear that Barrett merely sees the Third
> World as an exploitable market, rather than a society of people who
> need our help. His attitude is repulsive. He should be stopped
> ... with legislation if necessary.
>
> This is also the first time I've seen and heard Negroponte himself in
> an interview, and I was struck by his very genuine demeanour. You can
> tell how passionate he is about his dream, to pull the poor children
> of the world out of the poverty trap and into modern society. Like he
> said, other than the satisfaction of having achieved a greater good
> with his benevolence, he will not profit by his actions, so to have a
> greedy corporation hound him and his project like this, is quite
> shocking.
>
>> Nicholas Negroponte shows documents proving that Intel is pressuring
>> certain governments to not sign with OLPC and they also use their
>> money to prevent mass production of OLPC. It's the same tactic they
>> use to hurt AND. They engage in price wars that AMD cannot
>> stand. Watch the references below. They try to get the children
>> 'addicted' to a $3 Windows bundle. Still driven by greed.
>
> It's sickening.
>
>> What If Every Child Had A Laptop?
>
> What if every child in the world used Linux?

More on the BBC now.

                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
Cpu(s):  23.7% user,   4.4% system,   0.6% nice,  71.3% idle