Re: [News] Documents Revealed Which Show WIntel's Sabotage of $100 Laptop Project

  • Subject: Re: [News] Documents Revealed Which Show WIntel's Sabotage of $100 Laptop Project
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:07:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Watch the following video:
>
> OLPC on 60 Minutes
>
> http://olpc.tv/2007/05/21/60-minutes/
>
> Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop
> | a gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a
> | vicious fight between AMD and Intel, he said.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39733

It is despicable when greedy corporations try to force non-profit
organisations out of business, and turn what was an altruistic gesture
into exploitation. It is clear that Barrett merely sees the Third
World as an exploitable market, rather than a society of people who
need our help. His attitude is repulsive. He should be stopped
... with legislation if necessary.

This is also the first time I've seen and heard Negroponte himself in
an interview, and I was struck by his very genuine demeanour. You can
tell how passionate he is about his dream, to pull the poor children
of the world out of the poverty trap and into modern society. Like he
said, other than the satisfaction of having achieved a greater good
with his benevolence, he will not profit by his actions, so to have a
greedy corporation hound him and his project like this, is quite
shocking.

> Nicholas Negroponte shows documents proving that Intel is pressuring
> certain governments to not sign with OLPC and they also use their
> money to prevent mass production of OLPC. It's the same tactic they
> use to hurt AND. They engage in price wars that AMD cannot
> stand. Watch the references below. They try to get the children
> 'addicted' to a $3 Windows bundle. Still driven by greed.

It's sickening.

> What If Every Child Had A Laptop?

What if every child in the world used Linux?

--
K.
http://slated.org

,----
| Amarok Now Playing: "/mnt/sky/The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus,
| The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In
| Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily
| Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of
| All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation.ogg"
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 20:05:10 up 34 days, 17:37,  1 user,  load average: 0.11, 0.12, 0.12