[News] Microsoft/Novell Deal Praised... Only by Microsoft and Novell

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft/Novell Deal Praised... Only by Microsoft and Novell
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:06:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Does anyone care about the MS-Novell agreement besides, well, MS and Novell?

,----[ Quote ]
| I realize it’s only one year in, but I think it would behoove Microsoft and
| Novell to flesh out what it is they mean when they talk
| about “interoperability frameworks” and the like. Revenue numbers from Novell
| for its OS business wouldn’t hurt, either.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/11/09/does-anyone-care-about-the-ms-novell-agreement-besides-well-ms-and-novell/

Red Hat, Novell race to offer better Windows guest support, Windows Server 2008
virtualization support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1653

| [Allison: ] "Yes, that's true, actually. I mean I have had people come
| up to me and essentially off the record admit that they had been
| threatened by Microsoft and had got patent cross license and had
| essentially taken out a license for Microsoft patents on the free
| software that they were using [...] But they're not telling anyone
| about it. They're completely doing it off the record."
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/02/11/1443211.shtml

Is it Microsoft + Novell or Microsoft vs. Novell?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, this is very surprising. I've started to notice a trend in all the
| announcements the two companies have made over the past year: Novell stresses
| interoperability while Microsoft beats its drum on patent protection.
|
| [...]
|
| I wonder how long Microsoft will continue its efforts to try to cast the deal
| as about IP. It's not for Novell, it seems to me now. Microsoft did the deal
| to hurt Linux - there's no other explanation for it. It has no fiduciary duty
| to enable a competitor (unless its a weaker competitor against the Linux
| market leader, Red Hat). It has a fiduciary duty to kill that competitor.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9813681-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

,----[ Quote ]