[News] Review of VirtualBox for GNU/Linux, Hypervisors Are the Future

  • Subject: [News] Review of VirtualBox for GNU/Linux, Hypervisors Are the Future
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:23:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
VirtualBox: The best virtualization program you've never heard of

,----[ Quote ]
| InnoTek, a software company in Stuttgart, Germany, has released both a
| proprietary and a GPLv2 open-source version of the program. The VirtualBox
| OSE (open-source edition) has a subset of the features of the proprietary
| version.

RedHat Thinks Software Should Come In A Virtual Machine

,----[ Quote ]
| Wouldn’t it be nice if the enterprise software world were on board with your
| server virtualization efforts? Imagine downloading the latest version of
| PeopleSoft or Crystal Reports in a virtual server format that could be loaded
| on to VMware ESX and would just run – no installation, no configuration
| hassles, just instantiate and go.

Virtualization: A feature of the hardware, not the OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Even though Xen has been part of (Linux products) for a while, it's really
| just now getting ready for prime time," Haff said. "VMware is still very much
| the dominant player in virtualization."

VMware Hypervisor Takes Up Residence in New Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| "VMware is trying to get as broad of an installed base as it can in advance
| of the Linux and Microsoft initiatives because once you make a commitment to
| the VMware technology, you're going to be less likely to purchase something
| from Microsoft or Linux," Enck concluded.

VirtualBox 1.5 puts Windows windows on a Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| or the first time, the new version now displays the guest's windows
| seamlessly on the host system's desktop instead of showing the guest system's
| complete desktop in its own window.

VirtualBox 1.5 released with seamless Windows integration

,----[ Quote ]
| The second screenshot shows that even Windows’ task bar is embedded into the
| Linux system.

VirtualBox Making Waves as Open Source Virtualization Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The youngest virtualization player to enter the x86 virtualization market
| is Innotek. And the company has recently announced a new release of its
| product, VirtualBox version 1.4.0, for Windows and Linux.

Fedora 7 screenshot gallery

,----[ Quote ]
| 33 screenshots from the installation to the desktop all made with the
| help of Virtualbox.

VirtualBox 1.4.0 adds cool new features

,----[ Quote ]
| As promised at CeBIT 2007, InnoTek has released version 1.4.0
| of its VirtualBox virtualization software. Despite the modest
| increase in the version number, the new release boasts a few
| new features as well as a host of tweaks and behind-the-scenes
| improvements.

InnoTek VirtualBox [Mini Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I am impressed with the performance and features of InnoTek
| Virtual Box. The performance wasn't as impressive as it was with
| Parallel's desktop but it was better than the performance I got with
| VMware Fusion.

VirtualBox installation screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox is an opensource virtualization software, it has a nice
| graphical interface like VMWare, and which is a lack of QEMU, recently
| (march, 14th) it has released its version this is what their site says
| about VirtualBox.

VirtualBox 1.3.8 Released

,----[ Quote ]