Re: A trivial example of usabilty in KDE versus Windows

____/ Linonut on Tuesday 06 November 2007 12:59 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Total buttons displayed:
>>
>>   Linux:    0
>>   Windows: 11
>>
>> Total dialog items displayed (not including text):
>>
>>   Linux: 0
>>   Windows: 14
>>
>> Can someone explain how, since Linux is supposed to be hard and Windows is
>> supposed to be easy, it is easier to go through three wizard pages, 14
>> controls and nine decisions to achieve what I can achieve with three mouse
>> clicks?
>
> You have to not do it the Microsoft Way.  Instead, download something
> like IZarc (free software).  Then you can save your tar file (for
> example) to the desktop, and then just drag it to a folder, and click
> "Extract Here" in the popup that follows.
>
> Of course, if you used Internut Exploder (makes my testes retract) to
> download it, you first have to rename the file from the name
> myarchive.tar.tar that that crap product (IE) gave it, to
> myarchive.tar.gz.
>
> Microsoft software is rife with gotchas and inconsistencies like that.
>
> Best to avoid it.

Weird. A simple drag-and-drop or a double-click handles compressed files for me
(KDE 3.5). The compression is all very transparent. You can tell that actual
thought was put into the design, rather than the assumption that everyone uses
X, therefore everyone will just cope with whatever broken UI becomes
the '(ab)norm'.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
         run-level 2  2007-10-30 19:49                   last=