Re: [News] Microsoft/Novell Clone-ware the Wrong Route

DFS wrote:
Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

I'm ashamed to be a part of a community where FUD slinging is
acceptable (and in many cases, cheered).

You'll never make it out of cola alive.

haha, we'll see - I don't plan on sticking around long ;-)

It's one thing to cheer for Free Software, it's another to FUD the
competition/people who do not agree with you - even if they resort to
mud slinging first, we mustn't ever stoop to that level - the people
of the world are largely intelligent and will be able to see through
the lies.

Lying "advocates" such as those found on comp.os.linux.advocacy don't care that their lies are ridiculous and transparent. They just spew them and ignore the truth and spew them some more.

That is truly unfortunate.

I'm afraid that potential users and companies out there that might otherwise be interested in Linux/Free Software might get frightened off by such deceitful "spew".

We, the Free Software community, should present ourselves as moral and
fair, not vengeful and deceitful.

In other words the Free Software community should hide half its true nature (free software adherents aren't generally deceitful that I've seen, but they're *extremely* nasty and vengeful little beasts).

I think that's a bit unfair. I would say that at least 95+% of the Free Software supporters that I have met personally at conferences have been genuinely good people and did not seem to be at all vengeful.

While it is certainly possible that I've only been exposed to a minority group, I'd like to think that that is not the case.

The actions of the vocal minority flinging mud at individuals and companies is only detrimental to the success of Linux/FOSS imho.

I believe that most of the Free Software community truly is moral and
fair (otherwise I'd want no part in it anymore), but unfortunately it
is the vocal minority that is ruining the Free Software community's
reputation for all of us.

You hear that Roy [Homer] Kent Kohlmann 7 Rasker Ballard Gidget? He's talking to and about your kind.

Thank you,

Jeff (a Free Software developer since 1997)

Nice sentiments, but unrealistic I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, it would appear that you may be correct at least so far as c.o.l.a is concerned.

Jeff