Re: [News] [Rights] Privacy Compromised, Can Free Software Regain It?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files, user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

Yes, just what I need, organised spam.  I see it as a privacy
invasion.

,----[ Quote ]
"Is this a good idea or not? For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush..."
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/01/nsa_helps_micro_1.html

I would hate to venture what language patches would look like. I'll stick with Open Source.

--
HPT