Re: [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open Source Mode

ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:39:21 +0000
>
>> Fab at Home, Open-Source 3D Printer, Lets Users Make Anything
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | They developed a low-cost, open-source fabbing system?Fab at
>> Home?and | encouraged experimentation by starting an online wiki for
>> hobbyists. People | report printing with everything from food (Easy
>> Cheese, chocolate), to epoxy, | to metal-powder-impregnated silicone
>> to make conductive wires. `----
>>
>> http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4224759.html
>
> This is super cool! These guys have taken, what appears to me, some
> concepts from cheapo ink jet printers and turned it into a brilliant
> piece of innovation.
>
> Sure, it's just hacking around with some commodity parts and ideas, but
> it's great that they're doing it for everyone.
>
> The lead guy appears to really like chocolate, and that's great too,
> why shouldn't people just whack some cooking chocolate in there with a
> heating element and have their own names and stuff to eat :-) Sounds
> like a great idea for parties!

I rather like the idea myself, and I'm wondering if I could get one to
play with.  As you say, choccy objects could be great fun, but there are
also some good possible serious uses.  If you could get hold of the
right grade of plastic, it could be possible to effect repairs to some
devices which are otherwise unattemptable.