Re: Interesting statistic

____/ Rex Ballard on Friday 02 November 2007 13:48 : \____

> Back in the early days, in the mid 1990s, I used to measure Linux
> progress by counting references in Google and comparing them to the
> latest versions of Windows.
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 217,000,000 for Microsoft Vista. (0.14
> seconds)
>
> Personalized Results 1 - 10 of about 327,000,000 for Linux
> [definition]. (0.10 seconds)
>
> Microsoft says there are 88 million Vista users.
>

> If you figure 1 user for every 2.5 articles you get  86 million for
> Windows and 130 million for Linux.
>
> And yes, I will admit this is a VERY UNSCIENTIFIC survey :-D
>
> But i did find it interesting.
>
> I remember that when Windows NT 4.0 was first relesed,
> the "Windows NT 4.0" hits outnumbered Linux 30 to 1.
>
> I think it was about 8 to 1 with XP.
>
> Could it be that Linux is actually more popular than Vista?

Popular != ubiquitous, and yes, Linux is more popular. Everyone hates Vista
and, as for Linux, there are many people who are afraid of it... because it's
the unknown to them. Those who use Linux love it. Just ask.

It would be intersting to see an Apple Mac/Linux/Windows customer satisfaction
survey that resolves around the O/S...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall Linux to figure out the magic
Swap:  1510068k total,   569684k used,   940384k free,    97940k cached