[News] Sophisticated Web-based Applications on Linux Phones, Tablets, and other Devices?

  • Subject: [News] Sophisticated Web-based Applications on Linux Phones, Tablets, and other Devices?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 04:00:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google Docs spreadsheets can kill Nokia's Mozilla browser

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, you still need to re-flash the entire OS to get this version.
| There's an interesting post in this developers' blog about what to expect
| from next Nokia Tablet OS releases, code-named Chinook and its successor,
| code-named Diablo. Fortunately and according to the blog, Chinook will "come
| with a process to backup the data about the extra applications you have
| installed. Reflashing will be still needed since kernel + initfs still won’t
| be packaged, but at least users will get their extra apps back as part of the
| re installation process instead of having to manually install everything they
| had."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/31/google-docs-need-optimization-for-nokia-mozilla-browser

Who needs a CPU/RAM-greedy mobile when everything is handled by a remote
server? That's the future, also for small and light units like the Eee.
Another rave review (they don't stop coming):

ASUS Eee PC: Exclusive Inside Look!

,----[ Quote ]
| The current one on sale has a Generic ASUS-customized Xandros Linux
| with “Easy” and “Standard” GUI modes that has all the essentials preloaded,
| including special draw programs similar to Paint, chat programs such as MSN
| and Skype and ICQ to name a few; and of course it has the mandatory word
| clone called AbiWord that works with Linux.
`----

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1213/asus_eee_pc_exclusive_inside_look/index.html

The only flaw if the use of Xandros, which pays Microsoft ransom fees, having
grouped with the Racketeering Mafia.

Related:

Asus Eee PC 701

,----[ Quote ]
| As for that other famous low-cost notebook: The $188 OLPC XO laptop is a far
| more ambitious product in that its purpose is to educate children in
| developing nations. But that doesn't mean the Eee PC isn't a breakthrough in
| its own right. It brings affordable computing to everyone else, and without a
| learning curve.
`----

http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Exclusive-First-Review-Asus-Eee-PC-701.htm

New ASUS Eee PC gets positive feedback

,----[ Quote ]
| Described by ASUSTek Computer Inc. as "revolutionary," the new Eee PC is
| supposed to "provide users with a new mobile Internet experience like never
| before," but can the diminutive 7-inch laptop live up to the hype laid down
| by its manufacturer? From all accounts, the answer to that question would be
| yes.
`----

http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1369505.php/New_ASUS_Eee_PC_gets_positive_feedback

Asus Eee PC 701

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact it's hard to name anything consumers will dislike. As much as the Eee
| has been headline news for its potential in the education market, we can only
| deliver a full-blooded recommendation for all.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/133848/asus-eee-pc-701.html

Asustek's low-cost laptop coming to U.S., Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're in talks with a few governments and we have already confirmed orders
| for 1 million units next year," said Sunny Han, global marketing director.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/103007-asusteks-low-cost-laptop-coming-to.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Asus Eee PC 701 Review - Ultramobile Notebook with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=469