Re: Channel 4 On demand

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:42:10 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Kier on Monday 19 November 2007 09:19 : \____
>
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:21:31 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if Ashley Highfield's "there are only 400-600 Linux users in the
>>> MSBBC
>>
>> I think you should stop with the 'MSBBC' bullshit *now*, Roy, it's
>> starting to get tedious, as well as being wrong.
>
> You're right, Kier. The BBC is just as honest as the rest of the industry.
>
> Right?

The BBC has generall retained a reputation for honesty, yes. Usually a
deserved one. It's not perfect, of course, like any large institution
that's been around for a long time.

The 'MSBBC' tag is just nonsense, however.

> MPs rap BBC over Siemens deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But public spending watchdog the PAC said BBC executives misled the board
> | of governors about possible savings while trying to convince them to give
> | the deal the go-ahead.
> |
> | The committee of MPs found £60m of costs was excluded when budgets were
> | put to the governors for approval.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The PAC said the BBC was failing to manage the contract properly.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The report suggests the BBC should open up its accounts to government
> | officials for proper scrutiny.
> `----           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/29/pac_bbc_siemens/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/24/bbc_technology/

The goverment evidently had its chance to stop the deal, and failed.

> 3 days ago:
>

> Siemens stained by multimillion bribery scandal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Hacks there have seen a ruling by a German court which named telco ministers
> | in these countries as the lucky recipients of 77 bribes worth an estimated 12
> | million Euro.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/16/siemens-shelled-millions
>

> Well, well, well...

What does this have to do with MS?

> BMW and Siemens Welcome Interoperability Benefits of Microsoft-Novell Agreement
>         ^^^^^^^
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | For Siemens, the agreement will support the Siemens operating company through
> | the work of the ISEC subsidiary of Siemens Enterprise Communications, which
> | is responsible for customer software application development and management
> | worldwide. Due to the large quantity of current and legacy Linux
> | applications in customer environments, Siemens has significant need for
> | Windows and Linux platform compatibility.
> `----
>
> http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQTU06711092007-1.htm
>

> Ouch!
>

> Bribery scandal: Siemens fined 201 million euros
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | All in all payments of about 450 million euros in the Com division had been
> | classified as non-tax-deductible, Siemens declared.
> `----
>
> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/96999/from/rss09
>

> Getting back to the point:
>

> BBC iPlayer Protests
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Who are the people responsible for creating this mess?
> |
> |     * Mark Thompson, BBC director general (DG)
> |     * Erik Huggers, group controller at BBC Future Media & Technology
> |     * Ashley Highfield, director of new media and technology
> `----
>
> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/iPlayerProtest
>

> Erik Huggers and Ashley Highfield are former employees of the abusive (and
> convicted) monopolist. Shock! Horror!

Two employees and you assume they run the BBC? Grow up, Roy.

> Look what happened just a week ago:
>

> Samsung bribery scandal embroils politicians
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | SAMSUNG IS bracing itself for an investigation into allegations of bribery
> | and corruption that go to the heart of the Korean government.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | According to AFP, Kim says he saw a bribery list kept in a secret vault in
> | Samsung's headquarters.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/13/samsung-bribery-scandal

What does this have to do with MS, OR with the BBC?

> 2 weeks ago:
>

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
> | don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
> | superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with "marketing
> | help"
> |                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> | to get them to choose Windows.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

What does this have to do with the BBC?

> In the past few months alone:
>

> Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "We have twice requested balances, payment reports and complete tax
> | information, but the company hasn't given it to us, so in accordance with our
> | laws we have proceeded with the closure," the SRI official in charge of the
> | proceeding said.
> `----
>
> http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm
>

> Microsoft Office raid in Hungary
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Such behavior could lead to the exclusion of competitive products from
> | the market and violate European Union rules, according to the authority
> | known as the GVH."
> `----
>
> http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/26/ap3957835.html
>

> Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
> | in protest - pissed off."
> `----
>
> http://www.betanews.com/article/Evidence_of_Microsoft_Influencing_OOXML_Votes_in_Nordic_States/1188335569
>
> Anyway, I lost track of my main point. As I said at the start, "the BBC is just
> as honest as the rest of the industry."

Most of the links above have NOTHING to do with the BBC.

The Beeb certainly shouldn't have outsourced its IT to Siemens, but that
has nothing to do with MS. YOu've proved nothing beyond your own biases.
BE MORE ACCURATE, for God's sake. No wonder you are being 'modded down' at
Digg if this is what you do there.

Just throwing mud in the hope that some will stick isn't good advocacy,
it's just mudslinging.

The BBC is going through some rough times right now, with all the new
technology it's having to keep up with, and not enough money (no decent
rise in the licence fee, for a start). The digital switchover is a big
drain on resources, particularly, and there's HD to come as well.

--
Kier