[News] Google Resolves Android Open Source Licensing Issues, Texas Instruments Welcomes Open Source Applications

  • Subject: [News] Google Resolves Android Open Source Licensing Issues, Texas Instruments Welcomes Open Source Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 07:33:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google and Sun may butt heads over Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Google most likely built Dalvik as a way to get around licensing issues with
| Sun that would have come with using JME, said Stefano Mazzocchi, a developer
| and board member at Apache Labs.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/111607-google-and-sun-may-butt.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

They just need to keep Novell and the Microsoft proxies (IP poison) out of it.

TI frees its DSP toolchain for open source apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) is offering open source developers free use of its
| closed-source toolchain for DSPs (digital signal processors) found in several
| popular TI OMAP and DM-series RISC/DSP chips.

de Icaza: Android's VM

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the source code for Android is released, it would be interesting to look
| into integrating Mono wiht it. It should already run on it, as its just
| Linux. What would be interesting is continuing to use C# to write code for
| it.
`----

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2007/Nov-13-1.html

OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

,----[ Quote ]
| I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
| products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
| distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
| the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
| what basis they want to fight the free world.
|
| Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
| from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
| over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true.
`----

http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
| .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
| later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
| the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
| make public?
|
| [...]
|
| And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
| the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
| best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
| he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
| proprietary company's side to his side!!!
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11081&Itemid=1091

DaVinci processors gain Linux SDIO stack

,----[ Quote ]
| EmbWise has ported its Linux SDIO stack to a video-oriented Texas
| Instruments (TI) system-on-chip (SoC) processor and development board.
| SDIOWorx is now available on royalty-free terms for TI's daVinci DM6446
| processor and TI Japan's DM350 reference design, according to the
| company.

Wind River, TI team on Linux phone design

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has joined the Texas Instruments (TI) third-party
| ecosystem, and will collaborate with TI's Dallas-based mobile
| handset division on advanced Linux and hardware/software tools
| support for TI's ARM11-based OMAP2430 smartphone processor. The
| partnership could also produce a Linux-based mobile phone
| reference design, according to Wind River.

Linux First? (at Texas Instruments)

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) had one operating system at the top if its list
| when it put together support for DaVinci, its latest dual-core ARM/DSP
| OMAP line--MontaVista's Linux. In fact, TI took this support a step
| further by eliminating the need for many developers to program the DSP
| directly using tools such as TI's Code Composer Studio. Instead,
| ARM-based Linux-device drivers implement features such as codecs and
| filters by loading the matching DSP code on the second processor core
| and setting up a link between it and the ARM core.
`----

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=13271

Empower Technologies and Texas Instruments Release New Version of Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Empower Technologies and Texas Instruments have together released the
| latest version of Empower's LinuxDA Embedded Operating System (LEOs 2.3)
| running Linux Kernel 2.6.12
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20060712102419609

Digital video dev kits include embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments will license and support MontaVista Linux directly, as
| part of a digital video development kit supporting its DaVinci RISC/DSP
| processors. TI's DaVinci Technology Development Kit (TDK) for digital
| video applications will also include software integration and system
| visualization technology, and is expected to ship in Q3. It targets
| IP-set top boxes, video phones, video security systems, and other
| advanced digital video applications.

Real-time Linux is way ahead for TI and Wind River

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2007/02/26/40832/Real-time+Linux+is+way+ahead+for+TI+and+Wind+River.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2452fc