Re: [News] Proprietary Software Rejected for Supercomputing, GNU/Linux Chosen

  • Subject: Re: [News] Proprietary Software Rejected for Supercomputing, GNU/Linux Chosen
  • From: p5000011 <p5000011@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 03:43:35 +0000 (UTC)
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:XEGNzn+2563DQhn9+6FL052yp6o=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:07:06 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Supercomputer is another feather in Tatas` cap
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We did not want to be termed as using propriety technology such as
> | Solaris or others, hence we went for Linux, which is something
> | that is available in the public domain.
> `----

Where are Microsoft?

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/15/2126259&from=rss

| Microsoft Competes In Supercomputer Market
|
| "Microsoft is releasing a public beta of Windows Compute Cluster
| Server 2003 in their first attempt to compete in the supercomputer OS
| market. Gates is planned to speak at the 2005 Supercomputer
| Conference, which will be Microsoft's first appearance at the
| conference. Gates, as always, has high hopes for this new version of
| Windows, even claiming it to be as powerful and easier to use than
| Linux."

So where are these Microsoft supercomputers? Nowhere.

Has Microsoft succeeded in any market other than the ones they control
through illegal exploitation of a monopoly status? The xbox? Hardly,
It may sell well but will take years to recover their 'development'
costs. The Wii is an astounding success and the PS3 is starting to do
well after a slow start. The xbox360 is looking like a relic in
comparison to the PS3.

Linux is booming in the mobile phone market compared to Microsoft's
offering.

Embedded devices? Microsoft is all but nowhere.

It is no wonder Microsoft are scared. Apple's OS X Leopard puts Vista
to shame. There again, anything puts Vista to shame. Why is it that
Apple and Linux can produce OS's that have beautiful 3D desktops
that don't require 'supercomputer' HW?

Apple did the sensible thing switching to a *nix based OS. Microsoft
should have done the same. How many years from XP to Vista? So much
time lost on hacking an unmaintainable OS that is fundamentally
flawed. All the 'wow' features promised by Microsoft were dropped
before the OS even got into beta. Dropped because they simply
can't deliver the goods.

Microsoft's desktop and office suite monopoly will continue bringing
in the revenue in the short term. In the longer term, the failure of
Vista and the increasing demand for open standards will be the end of
their monopoly. Microsoft will then have to compete, something I
believe they are unable to do.