[News] Proprietary Software Rejected for Supercomputing, GNU/Linux Chosen

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software Rejected for Supercomputing, GNU/Linux Chosen
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:07:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Supercomputer is another feather in Tatas` cap

,----[ Quote ]
| We did not want to be termed as using propriety technology such as Solaris or
| others, hence we went for Linux, which is something that is available in the
| public domain.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/iceworld/storypage.php?leftnm=lmnu9&subLeft=3&autono=304236&tab=r

"Public domain"? Poor reporting?

India enters supercomputing race

MSBBC does not even mention GNU/Linux. Well, their tech chief 'believes' that
only hundreds use Linux, so...

PC-era moxie lives anew at supercomputer show

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=515770967&rid=-50

India's powerful supercomputer signals HPC ambitions

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=956573898&rid=-50

The world's largest 'supercomputer' runs Windows (zombies). See below.

Related:

Storm Worm Dwarfs World's Top Supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| The network of compromised Microsoft Windows computers under the thumb of the
| criminals who control the Storm Worm has grown so huge that it now has more
| raw distributed computing power than all of the world's top supercomputers,
| security experts say.
`----

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/08/storm_worm_dwarfs_worlds_top_s_1.html?nav=rss_blog

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/