[News] Nokia's Linux Tablet Improved, OpenMoko on the Way, Google's Linux Phone Attracts Devs

  • Subject: [News] Nokia's Linux Tablet Improved, OpenMoko on the Way, Google's Linux Phone Attracts Devs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:44:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OS upgrade leaks for Linux-based tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The hotly anticipated Maemo operating system upgrade for the Nokia N800
| Internet Tablet has leaked. Early reviewers are impressed with the upgrade's
| faster performance and Mozilla-based Web browser.

OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing
| the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the
| Neo 1973, which may be available to the mass-market in the second half of
| 2008, according to company sources.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071116PD213.html

Envisioning the Android User Experience: Customizable to the Max

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that the nitty-gritty details of the SDK are becoming known, developers
| are starting to get some sense of what the platform could mean in terms of
| the actual products it spawns -- in other words, just what, exactly, Android
| phones might look like.

Linux devices everywhere. Open source even.

Related:

Frankly Speaking: Game-changer

,----[ Quote ]
| Will the GooglePhone matter? Last week, Google officially unveiled its
| long-rumored mobile phone software. Dubbed “Android,” the Linux-based
| software stack is being backed by more than 30 partners, including handset
| makers Motorola, Samsung, LG and HTC, and service providers Sprint Nextel,
| T-Mobile and NTT DoCoMo.
|
| But no Nokia. No AT&T or Verizon. No Apple or Palm. No Symbian, Microsoft or
| RIM. Without them, will Android matter at all?
|
| Hold that thought.
|
| The day after Google’s Android announcement, the One Laptop Per Child
| Foundation said that its low-cost, Linux-based laptops for kids are finally
| rolling off the assembly line in China. The little green XO laptops, with
| their built-in mesh networking and low-power-consumption design, will start
| shipping to Uruguay and Mongolia shortly.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/6529

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
| With iPhone a closed platform, Linux gets an wide-open road for phones and
| other smart devices
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/08/apple_gives_lin.html?source=rss

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]