[News] Children Love Their GNU/Linux Laptops, Lots of Options Availble

  • Subject: [News] Children Love Their GNU/Linux Laptops, Lots of Options Availble
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:41:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
12 minutes, a 10 year-old and 1 Asus Eee PC [Video]

,----[ Quote ]
| As I'm posting this, he's already commandeered the Eee for his room and he's
| playing Runescape with the neighbors.
`----

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2007/11/10-minutes-with.html

What I want for christmas (The cool new trend on preloaded Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| So, if the jolly trespasser brings me what I ordered, I will find the
| following:
|
|     * Asus eee: A cheap subnotebook with Linux and KDE preloaded.
|     * Everex gPC: A cheap Desktop with Linux and Enlightenment(!?) preloaded.
|     * Phoenix PC 3.0 BIOS: an embedded hypervisor and Linux OS.
`----

http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/weblog/2007/11/16.html#BB651

Simpler PCs for kids find niche

,----[ Quote ]
| It runs a Linux-based operating system that features large icons meant to
| focus kids on activities such as Internet browsing and word processing.
`----

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/LIFE/711160348/1005
http://tinyurl.com/2slgrr

Related:

Asus to launch desktop Eee PC next year

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek is developing a desktop version of its ultra-compact Linux-based
| laptop, the Eee PC, the company's marketing chief has said. It wants to get
| the mini machine into shops sometime next year.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/09/asus_preps_desktop_eee_pc/

Ubuntu 7.10 Gibbon swings on the Asus Eee

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gibbonfest continues. We've just had an Asus Eee in to look at - the £220
| laptop that everyone who's seen it is going to buy. It's one of the hottest
| things in the office this year: the combination of the insanely low price
| tag, the perfectly functional specification (512MB RAM, 4GB internal flash
| SSD, wi-fi, real keyboard, VGA display) and its extreme portability makes it
| an instant hit.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006278o-2000331777b,00.htm

Asustek's EEE now expected in October

,----[ Quote ]
| There are likely to be around four or five different configurations, and the
| highly specced model will cost very much more than the slated $239.

Second-generation Asus Eee PC Mini Laptop Coming in April 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus will release the second Generation of Eee PC mini laptops in April 2008.
| The second-generation Eee PC laptops feature higher Intel's Merom processors
| (now Eee PC uses Intel Celeron M to 900 MHz). Also, Asus will reduce the
| power consumption of the next-generation laptops from 11W TDP down to 7W TDP.
`----

http://laptopcom.blogspot.com/2007/09/second-generation-asus-eee-pc-mini.html

Asustek to Launch Low-Price Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptop, which will run the Linux operating system, will carry the
| company's ASUS brand.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070827/taiwan_low_price_computer.html?.v=2

News Corp undecided on making WSJ.com free

,----[ Quote ]
| "It would be a very expensive thing to do in the short term," Murdoch told
| analysts on a telephone conference call to discuss News Corp's quarterly
| earnings. "In the long term, it may be a wonderful thing to do, but we're
| looking at it very closely."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070808/media_nm/newscorp_results_journal_dc

UMPC expected to spawn family of devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux could still be well-represented in In-Stat's future UMD findings,
| however, if the current buzz around Linux- and Intel-based MIDs (mobile
| Internet devices) holds up. Currently, Red Flag, Ubuntu, and Gnome are among
| the open source software projects working on versions of their software
| specially aimed at mobile devices.

Asus Eee PC Price Hike, Limited Launch Next Month

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing anonymous sources at the company, DigiTimes is reporting that Asus
| will begin shipping the Eee PC in September in four different configurations
| priced at $200, $240, $350, and $370. Exactly what these configurations will
| be is not yet known.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13284

Asus to Start Shipping Eee PC in September.

,----[ Quote ]
| However, as the production increases, more affordable models should become
| widely available also. In 2007 they intend to ship 500,000 units of this
| series, and in 2008 the production should hit 3-5 mln units.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20070820102938.html

$199 Linux Laptop Tantalizes Before Official Launch

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/08/199_linux_lapto.html