Re: [News] OLPC and Google Mobile Give Huge Boost to Linux, Change the Game

> Frankly Speaking: Game-changer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Will the GooglePhone matter? Last week, Google officially unveiled its
>| long-rumored mobile phone software. Dubbed ?Android,? the Linux-based
>| software stack is being backed by more than 30 partners, including handset
>| makers Motorola, Samsung, LG and HTC, and service providers Sprint Nextel,
>| T-Mobile and NTT DoCoMo.

A pretty substantial collection of very important players...

>| But no Nokia. No AT&T or Verizon. No Apple or Palm. No Symbian, Microsoft or
>| RIM. Without them, will Android matter at all?

Well, Apple, Symbian, Microsoft and Rim are all competitors in the OS
space, Nokia remains schizophrenic in its N810 and N95 series linux and
symbian split, and neither AT&T nor Verizon are important outside of the
US anyway.

I suppose if you take a US centric view of the world, perhaps there's an
issue, but if you look at the full picture, it looks rather different.