Re: Channel 4 On demand

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 16 November 2007 19:25 : \____

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Jeremy Fisher spake thusly:
>>
>>> I missed a program on Tuesday night I would have liked to watch, so
>>> decide to use 4oD.
>>>
>>> [rant on] I should have known better, unless you use M$ you are
>>> discriminated against,
>>
>> I blogged about this at the beginning of the year:
>>
>> http://slated.org/ch4_microsoft_bias
>>
>> You'll see from the comments that I also Emailed CH4, and got a response
>> from Max Whitman (Channel 4 Customer Support).
>>
>> Much good it did, since apparently they continue to ignore viable cross
>> platform solutions, in favour of Microsoft's Monopoly-ware.
>>

> Well, it's good to see that you really did get a response, and were able
> to point out that the claim that only Microsoft offer DRM is a microsoft
> marketing statement, and is not the truth.  In fact, it's a lie.  Any
> vendor who's prepared to lie to customers in such an overt way should
> never be considered for any contract.
>
> It would be good to highlight to senior Ch4 people how they have been
> lied to by their supplier.

See this:

BBC on the iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]
| An interesting podcast with Ashley Highfield, Director Future Media &
| Technology....Clearly there’s a vast amount of money to be made by
| selling “DRM” solutions to gullible old media companies. It is sad that the
| BBC, who don’t even have to protect their profits, do not have the collective
| brains to see through this scam. Perhaps there is light at the end of the
| tunnel? -- "Where do we go from here? … The solution then is to say either we
| look at a future beyond DRM or we’re going to find it very hard to put our
| content onto open source solutions."
|
| But he is just teasing - they don’t actually look at this future, so I guess
| their choice is to not put their content onto open source solutions!
|
| [...]
|
| I think he needs to add Parliament to his list of people to work better with,
| after the recent lunacy from Lord Triesman
`----

http://www.links.org/?p=269

Of course, there is always the possibility that Microsoft took decision makers
out to dinner for some brainwash and maybe of wad of cash. Whatever it is, the
people at the top are always up to screwing the small guy. If nobody stands up
and demands change, things will get worse (companies can never get /enough/
revenue). [H]omer made an excellent start by pressuring these fools.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
 20:00:04 up 16 days, 23:58,  4 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.97, 1.43