[News] Larry Ellison's Unbreakable Linux a 'Control Freak' Case

  • Subject: [News] Larry Ellison's Unbreakable Linux a 'Control Freak' Case
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:54:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Putting Unbreakable Linux into perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| The only problem for Oracle is that a win for Linux introduces a new third
| party that stands between its software and its customers. The clear solution
| to that is for Oracle to acquire a Linux distribution. Maybe one day it will,
| although I think the company is very aware that an Oracle-owned code base
| would diminish the value that customers see in Linux. An Oracle-supported
| code base is slightly different conceptually, while the result - Oracle
| owning the customer relationship - is the same .
|
| You could question why Oracle is paying so much attention to Linux given that
| its revenue from Unbreakable is tiny in comparison to the other areas of its
| business but that, in my view, misses the point. It isn’t really important
| for Oracle to make money from Unbreakable Linux (or Oracle VM), what is
| important is that it strengthens Oracle’s relationship with its customers and
| keeps competitors out.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/16/putting-unbreakable-linux-into-perspective/
http://tinyurl.com/37gbkw

Related:

Why does Larry Ellison have a Red Hat fetish?

,----[ Quote ]
| Larry doesn't understand open source. This isn't surprising since the people
| who report to him apparently don't, either (though I don't include Mike Olson
| in that crowd - he's a victim of golden handcuffs :-). Oracle desperately
| wants open source to be "just another tool" that it uses for IT domination.
| It's not. It actually has the opposite effect.
|
| Oracle just can't grok this.
|
| It wants to own the Linux kernel. It can't. It wanted to own JBoss. It
| couldn't. Open source is about controlling through sharing, but Oracle
| doesn't do the "share" thing very well.
|
| And so we'll have to sporadically endure Mr. Ellison's ego pronouncing
| himself god of the Linux world, despite his Linux business being so anemic
| that he won't break out its numbers. If the numbers are so great, report
| them, Mr. Ellison. (Having said this, it's important to note that Oracle
| stopped breaking out revenue by product line many years ago.)
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9817945-16.html?tag=head

OpenWorld: Oracle restricting app support to its own virtualization platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Buried under the surface of Oracle Corp.'s Monday announcement that it plans
| to get into the virtualization market is the fact that the company won't
| support its database and many other applications if they are running on
| virtualization software from VMware Inc., Microsoft Corp. or even Red Hat
| Inc.
|
| That effectively limits enterprise users who want to run their Oracle
| applications more efficiently through virtualization to just one platform:
| Oracle's new VM.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9046998&intsrc=news_ts_head
http://tinyurl.com/38yk8h