Re: Some More Reviews of the Latest Ubuntu and Latest Fedora Linux

____/ Charlie Tame on Friday 16 November 2007 05:36 : \____

> Shannon Jacobs wrote:
>> On my personal experiences upgrading and fresh installs on about 6
>> machines so far, overall Gutsy is slightly down from Feisty. The
>> upgrades have been slightly smoother, and the fresh installations are
>> about the same. Existing problems seem mostly unaffected, and it's
>> picked up a couple of annoying new glitches. Most annoying of the
>> current problems involves Java from Firefox.
>>
>> However, I still wish they'd focus on making it consistently better
>> with each release. I feel like they just want to make it different on
>> schedule, and there are too many annoying glitches in the process.
>> Gutsy is sometimes annoying enough to drive me back to Windows for a
>> break, which is not the Linux experience I've been enjoying with
>> Ubuntu.
>

> Yes, I have seen no vast improvement over Feisty at all really, I found
> the compiz setup needed some fiddling with and a download or two and the
> NTP function needed a download... very small and quick so no reason not
> to include it - but the compiz stuff could be confusing to a newcomer so
>   I really think they should put some effort into including the complete
> thing or add it to the restricted drivers pack or something, make it a
> single click package so the user gets the correct stuff.

For a Ubuntu installation that I have, I'm still waiting for 8.04, which is
long-term support. It should be as solid as 6.06, which was followed by an
Edgy (mind case) release.

One person' diction is another's verbiage
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie