Re: 'Father of UNIX' Goes Open Source, Grid OS Revealed

On 2007-11-15, Johan Lindquist <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> So anyway, it was like, 16:18 CET Nov 15 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
> Rex Ballard was all like, "Dude,
>> On Nov 11, 8:16 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>>> I never heard about MULTICS before, so I was (perhaps wrongly)
>>> assuming that saying "the father of UNIX"--as in the headline of
>>> the cited blog item--would be OK.
>>
>> I think it was Dennis Ritchie who said, "If we had known about
>> Multics, we wouldn't have created UNIX".
>
> [..]
>
> I think you're making shit up again, that's what I think.

Looks like it:

http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~acc/docs/unix-Part_I.html

   When Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and their "Bell Laboratories
   colleagues," writes Comer, "later began work on their own
   implementation of a Multics-like time-sharing system, they drew
   heavily from the Multics experience. So, despite popular myth, UNIX
   was not an accidental discovery at all -- it evolved directly from
   experiences with academic research." (Ibid., pg. 41-42)

   By 1969, however, AT&T made a decision to withdraw from the project.
   Describing that period, Dennis Ritchie, another of the inventors of
   unix at Bell Labs writes, "By 1969, Bell Labs management, and even
   the researchers came to believe that the promises of Multics could
   be fulfilled only too late and too expensively." (from Dennis
   Ritchie, "The Development of the C Language," ACM, presented at
   Second History of Programming Languages conference, Cambridge, Mass,
   April 1993, pg. 1)

Looks to me like he wasn't the only one he had "known about Multics" at
the time, either.

--
Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funeral.