[News] New eBay Malware, Incompatible with Linux :-( :-(

  • Subject: [News] New eBay Malware, Incompatible with Linux :-( :-(
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:42:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
eBay Trojan morphs to snare motor victims

,----[ Quote ]
| Trojan.Bayrob is in constant contact with a fleet of control servers so it
| can be updated in real time - all the better to trick victims into making
| pricey fraudulent purchases.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/11/15/trojan_bayrob_morphs/

Recent:

IndiaTimes website 'attacks visitors'

,----[ Quote ]
| Visitors to the IndiaTimes website are being bombarded by malware, some of
| which appear to target previously unknown vulnerabilities in Windows, a
| security researcher warns.
|
| [...]
|
| She said most pages on the IndiaTimes site are clean. Those that are
| infected, however, contain a potent cocktail of downloader and dropper
| Trojans and other binaries. They contain a script that points to remote
| sites, some of which link to still other sites. The malicious files exploit
| multiple vulnerabilities, and some appear to be previously unknown flaws in
| Windows, according to Landesman, who used to be a security researcher for
| Microsoft.
|
| A Microsoft spokesman said he was looking in to the report.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/10/india_times_under_attack/

Related:

China Crafts Cyberweapons

,----[ Quote ]
| The Defense Department reports China is building cyberwarfare
| units and developing viruses.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132284-pg,1/article.html(News)

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
| reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
| in a suspect's computer remotely.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.

F-Secure CEO: There's more malware than ever

,----[ Quote ]
| DDoS continues to harass people across the world. But is it more,
| is it less? What we are seeing is it is taking up a lot of bandwidth
| and we need to protect people.
|
| I think there could actually be a big shift from commercial to
| political DDoS attacks, such as we saw recently with Estonia
| [and Russia]. Any place where you have political instability
| you could see an increase in DDoS attacks in that region.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6188138.html

US Navy malware infection risked submarine prang

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard F Sylvestre, from Massachusetts, installed malware on a
| computer network at the Italian HQ of the US 6th Fleet, America's
| standing taskforce in the Mediterranean.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/18/sub_traffic_malware_aliens_likelier/

Zombies infiltrate US military networks

,----[ Quote ]
| Support Intelligence, the firm whose research on honeynets revealed that
| the networks of at least 28 Fortune 1000 companies contained
| malware-infected spam-spewing PCs, has found evidence of bots running
| behind military networks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/16/military_botnet/

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Vista still vulnerable

,----[ Quote ]
| Vulnerabilities in Windows Vista will plague users in coming months
| and years, a prominent security researcher warns, despite its
| security improvements over predecessor XP.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/security/vista-still-vulnerable/2007/02/26/1172338546822.html
http://tinyurl.com/2o82lf

Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
| in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
|
| The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very concerned"
| about the growth in "phishing".

Vint Cerf: one quarter of all computers part of a botnet

,----[ Quote ]
| The World Economic Forum takes place this week in Davos, Switzerland,
| and leaders around the world gather to discuss issues like the Iraq
| war, global climate change, and globalization--along with the
| incredible prevalence of botnets.

Malware authors take over Live searches in Italy

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like the malware people have practically taken over Live
| search in Italy.
`----

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/malware-authors-take-over-live-searches.html

Malware Increased 172 Percent in 2006, According to Report

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php/104265