[News] Linux King of the Hill in the "Big Machines"

  • Subject: [News] Linux King of the Hill in the "Big Machines"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 01:03:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux still dominates the HPC arena

,----[ Quote ]
| For some time now Linux has been the dominate operating system in high
| performance computing. For everything from IBM, with its rockstar status
| supercomputer Blue Gene, to NEC or U.S. HPC players SGI and HP–the bulk of
| the leading HPC clusters today are Linux-based.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/11/12/linux-still-dominates-the-hpc-arena/

Even Sun cannot escape GNU/Linux...

Sun builds Constellation of petascale supercomputing

,----[ Quote ]
| The Constellation system can scale up to 2 petaflops, said Andersson. (A
| petaflop is the equivalent of 1,000 trillion floating-point operations per
| second.)
|
| A Linux-based Constellation-class system named "Ranger" using 15,000 AMD
| quad-core Barcelona chips is already under construction at the University of
| Texas at Austin's Texas Advanced Computer Center (TACC). That system, which
| could become the world's largest supercomputer when it's completed next year,
| is capable of peak performance at 504 teraflops, or about half a petaflop.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1854345449&rid=-50

Related:

Linux Powers Cray XT4 Supercomputer at NERSC

,----[ Quote ]
| Beginning more than a year ago, we jointly defined design requirements then
| tested and validated a Linux operating environment for Franklin and
| ultimately Cray's entire XT product line that will be available to our vast
| community of users. We were pleased to be part of such a landmark
| accomplishment — the first true light-weight Linux kernel for HPC systems."
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/hardware/13911/linux-powers-cray-xt4-supercomputer-nersc

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
`----