Re: 'Father of UNIX' Goes Open Source, Grid OS Revealed

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 12 November 2007 11:47 : \____
>
>> dapunka <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>http://www.kirps.com/web/main/_blog/all/mit-releases-the-sources-of-m...

>>> I'm not much of a geek, but I know what MULTICS was, in relation to
>>> UNIX.  Hell, most any history of the Free Software movement will go
>>> through the basics: At Bell Labs, there was MULTICS, then UNIX...
>>> which then leads by different paths to BSD (Thompson), GNU (Stallman)
>>> and Linux (Torvalds).  Even Wikipedia tells it that way, methinks.
>>>

>> Ah, so in your world, everyone has read the same things as you?
>>
>> I think not...
>
> dapunka makes a good point though. I don't know how I ever missed it. I'll
> admit that I have poor knowledge of the UNIX family tree.

Well, it remains a relative obscure OS, despite it's importance for later
development.
After all, there were just 86 sites (I believe) running it, of those was
just a single one in germany (University of Mainz). I actually was one of 2
people who could do maintenance on that machine (it was basically a
standard Honeywell mainframe, but contained several PCBs either different
from the standard version or not even present in the standard machine)
--
Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. The answer is NO