Re: How to make the trolls go away

____/ bmillerjacobson@xxxxxxxxx on Monday 12 November 2007 21:02 : \____

> I would like to suggest, in order to make the trolls go away, that
> everyone stop feeding the trolls for a while, all at the same time. I
> am a bit of a troll feeder, so this will be difficult for me, but I am
> willing to try it. For this to work, we will need near 100%
> cooperation. Don't reply to trolls, or, if you must reply, reply in a
> calm, respectful tone. Just pretend that they aren't there and most
> will go away. Those who don't are probably getting payed by Micro$oft
> or something because they certainly won't be having fun.
>
> These are just my ideas, nothing more. However, I think it might work.
> Does anyone else have any ideas? Is anyone else interested in trying
> this out?

I find it much easier not to reply to trolls if I never see their posts, so
there's no temptation to reply. When someone feeds a troll, however, the
quoted text gives visibility to trolls, which makes it harder to resist. By
putting a complete end to troll feeding, inertia won't be there anymore.

Any 'feeding post' opens up for more anti-Linux dribble from the trolls, so it
does a lot more harm than good. It's better not to even rebut because you're
simply asking for more FUD.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie