Re: [News] The Dell-Novell Fiasco, OpenSUSE Distances Self from Novell

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Linux, Dell, Novell, Microsoft... part 2
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As I predicted here about two months ago, Dell has announced that it
> | will offer its customers a neat package of Dell hardware, Suse Linux
> | software, and Microsoft patents.
> |
> | It's very clear what is happening. Linux is now the de-facto commodity
> | operating system for servers. Microsoft, having gone through the
> | ignore-laugh-fight-lose cycle has now realised that it can turn patent
> | troll on Linux and jump ahead a full business cycle, going from
> | commercial server operating system to IPR revenue model without the
> | messy free software step in between.
> |
> | ?How do you make money from free software??, asked the VC. ?Patents?,
> | came the answer from the lawyer.
> `----
>
> http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-9066
linux-dell-novell-microsoft-part-2

> OpenSUSE's first governing board is set up
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Novell has recently decided to start setting openSUSE free from direct
> | Novell oversight by setting up the first openSUSE board of directors.
> `----
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7472787860.html
>

> Related:
>
> Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | That these claims also could be taken to mean that Novell is developing
> | a non-standard Linux, one that is skewed only towards working with
> | Windows, appears to have escaped Novell.

Yea but I'm never going to buy or evaluate Novel/Micoshaft axis crap.
Anything touched by micoshaft is living on borrowed time and borrowed
good will of open source developers to support it.

Its not worth the hassle to deal with idiots on the patent troll run
wielding sticks and carrots. If you deal with them, then they will
be back with more sticks and carrots. Clean GPL'd open source
gets away from all that and sticking with genuine open source
will help replace micoshaft and their tainted satellite companies
with clean uninfected companies that are offering genuine open source
products and services. Thats where the money is. Thats where the future is
for everyone with plans for extensive use of open source.