[News] 50,000,000 Desktop GNU/Linux Users Already?

  • Subject: [News] 50,000,000 Desktop GNU/Linux Users Already?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:33:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
50,000,000 Desktop GNU/Linux Users Already?Desktop OS- Vista vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
| back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
| 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
| some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
| 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
| Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
| was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, Microsoft reported back in July that 60 million copies of Vista had been
| sold. Now start subtracting the crossgrades to Xp that are not counted as
| sales, and the 3-1 to ratio of Xp to Vista sales. Now, I'm not confident in
| my mathematics, but right now the best I can come up with is a realistic
| install base of around 40 million.
|
| Yes. Desktop Linux Marketshare... is larger than Vista.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/desktop-os-vista-vs-linux.html

Related:

How many Linux desktop users are there?

,----[ Quote ]
| So it is that Cherry asks that, "If desktop Linux market data is important to
| you or your company, please become involved in the statix project and in the
| deployment of this tool on every distro. I realize that market data can be a
| double-edged sword, so distro vendors should get those issues on the table
| early."

Hard to track Linux stats

,----[ Quote ]
| "The characteristic of open source software is that it is freely available on
| the network. People are encouraged to download it, use it as many times as
| they want, modify it to fit their needs, of course, depending upon the open
| source license."
`----

http://www.echannelline.com/usa/story.cfm?item=22305

Smolt profiles distro hardware use

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118322

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Measuring Linux and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]