Re: Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops

____/  nrballard@xxxxxxxxx on Sunday 11 November 2007 07:47 : \____

> On Nov 10, 5:29 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Video: Fedora 8 highlights
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Fedora 8 has gone live, and we've got a short video that gives some
>> | background on the release, specifically the new custom spins.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/08/video-fedora-8-highlights/
>>
>> Fedora 8 Review
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Fedora (previously called Fedora Core) is an RPM-based, general purpose
>> | Linux distribution, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project
>> | and sponsored by Red Hat. Fedora's mission statement is: "Fedora is about
>> | the rapid progress of Free and Open Source software."
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Red Hat ruled the Linux distribution world, before Ubuntu came and took
>> | over.
>
> Red Hat had a quality distribution for end-users, with support, which
> was sold on retail shelves nationwide.  Then they dropped support for
> their desktop products and started marketing to businesses while using
> their community of desktop users as test subjects for new technology
> to be deployed in their enterprise products.  Most Fedora releases
> have been absolutely craptacular compared to the Red Hat releases of
> the late 90's and the Ubuntu releases of today.  If they want to
> recover lost users, they may want to consider producing a product of
> comparable quality.

They are supposed to bring a RHEL-quality desktop product later this month,
according to report. They already have deals with large OEMs that will have
that product preinstalled. Red Hat probably keeps quiet about it on purpose.

>> | With the current release for Fedora, it seems that Red Hat is fighting
>> | really hard to control the lost ground. The intense effort is clear from
>> | the current release. If we ignore minor hick-ups, werewolf is one of the
>> | best releases from Fedora. With this release Fedora is returning to my
>> | workstation as distribution of choice, after a long time.
>> `----
>
> These "minor hick-ups" so far include a permanent lock on YUM which
> prevents users from installing or removing applications.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Every beginning must start somewhere
Tasks: 113 total,   1 running, 112 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie