[News] Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops

  • Subject: [News] Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:29:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Video: Fedora 8 highlights

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 8 has gone live, and we’ve got a short video that gives some
| background on the release, specifically the new custom spins.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/08/video-fedora-8-highlights/

Fedora 8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora (previously called Fedora Core) is an RPM-based, general purpose Linux
| distribution, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and
| sponsored by Red Hat. Fedora's mission statement is: "Fedora is about the
| rapid progress of Free and Open Source software."
|
| [...]
|
| Red Hat ruled the Linux distribution world, before Ubuntu came and took over.
| With the current release for Fedora, it seems that Red Hat is fighting really
| hard to control the lost ground. The intense effort is clear from the current
| release. If we ignore minor hick-ups, werewolf is one of the best releases
| from Fedora. With this release Fedora is returning to my workstation as
| distribution of choice, after a long time.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/fedora-8-review.html

Fedora 8 Review on DELL D620.

,----[ Quote ]
| I have 2 Pentium D PC's running FC7 and DELL D620 Laptop running Ubuntu in
| dual boot.
| I'm so satisfied with the configuration and performance of FC7 that as soon
| as I heard FC8 was available I went ahead and tried to blast away Ubuntu from
| my laptop and replace it with FC8.
`----

http://cabazorronews.blogspot.com/2007/11/fedora-core-8-review-on-dell-d620.html

A Java Developer's Review of Fedora 8

,----[ Quote ]
| I just finished installing Fedora 8. One new feature that really caught my
| eye is that it includes an unencumbered version of Java, based on OpenJDk,
| called IcedTea. In addition to IcedTea, Fedora 8 includes a lot of Java
| software out of the box including Eclipse, Maven, ANT, Tomcat 5, and Jetty,
| among others.
`----

http://ensode.net/java_fedora_8_icedtea.html

Related:

What's New in Fedora 8?

,----[ Quote ]
| Spins are Fedora Live CDs that are created to serve a certain number of
| people. It does so by having the applications that those people would need,
| in other words, it saves them the time to install these software.
|
| There are three new spins shipped with Fedora 8: Games; Developer; and
| Electronic Lab.
`----

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/ReleaseSummary/

Red Hat's Fedora 8 hope: An all-purpose Linux foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| The ability to "re-spin" Fedora is attracting some interest. Among the
| Fedora-based variations that will be available are one for gaming, one for
| designing microprocessors, and one for programmers.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9813113-39.html

An old hat with new tricks: Fedora 8 officially released

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been experimenting with Fedora 8 test 3, and I like what I see. This is
| a nice release with a pretty sweet assortment of features that you won't find
| anywhere else. Fedora still manages to differentiate itself and rise above
| many other contenders by delivering early access to new technologies.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071108-an-old-hat-with-new-tricks-fedora-8-officially-released.html

A peek at Red Hat's Fedora 8 Linux [Screenshots tour]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/2300-1016_3-6217482-1.html