Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

> I will never buy a pre-loaded system again, even if I have to go
> no-name to do it.

I used to think I could avoid the OEM lock-in problem indefinitely, by
simply building my own (which also has the advantage of producing a PC
built to my /exact/ specifications). These days I'm much more inclined
to buy laptops though, making my previous workaround a bit difficult.

Certainly it is possible to buy preinstalled GNU/Linux laptops, but my
choices are much more limited (thank you Microsoft), and of course the
other option is the Windows refund route, which has been successful so
far, for those cases I've read about.

> (Exception:  wife want a new machine, and still wants Windoze, even
> as she hears about Vista -- we'll see).

I think $wife is buggy and may need patching. :)

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
| Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
 16:51:14 up 17 days, 13:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.59, 0.45, 0.45