Re: [News] ASUSTek Argues It Now Complies with the GPL, Announces Eee PC Linux SDK

> ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 28 November 2007 22:35 : \____

>>> ASUSTek is committed to meet the requirements of the GNU General
>>> Public License
>>
>> Ostensibly, they do now seem to provide /all/ the sources. Whether or
>> not these are the /corresponding/ sources for all the code, is a matter
>> for investigation.
>>
>> Direct links:
>>
>> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/701/Lan_Driver_Source_071127.rar
>> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/701/Hsfmodem_Source_071127.rar
>> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/701/ASUS_ACPI_071126.rar
>> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/701/Xandros_busybox_source_071127.rar
>> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/701/Linux_Kernel_071127.rar
>> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/701/Uvcvideo_Source_071127.rar
>> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/701/EeePC701_071012.zip
>>
>> Why on earth have they used the proprietary RAR archiver for these?
>>
>> Bizarre.
>>
>> Anyway, the first six files are new, AFAICT, and presumably brings ASUS
>> into compliance. Like I said, I'd need to check.
>
> Watch the second comment in Slashdot. It's very funny. ASUSTek pulling a
> publicity stunt by teasing the GPL...

I suppose they could be forgiven for that.  To a point.  The decision to
pre-install a distribution which Microsoft have blessed is surely a
mistake though - there is a wide open opportunity for a manufacturer to
use an untainted distribution.