Re: Why all the Vista and Microsoft Posts?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:10:17 -0800, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> > There isn't much interesting news about Linux.  It is more interesting to
>> > speculate on Microsoft.
>>
>> Speak for yourself. I'd rather never have Microsoft's name mentioned in
>> here at all.
>>
>> --
>> Kier
>
> Unfortunately it is an unmoderated news group, which makes it
> difficult to control what anyone says.   But we can talk about what
> our ideals are of what we'd like cola to be.  Personally, there are
> several themes that interest me, including the rise of FOSS in
> general, struggles over control in the technology sector including
> things like DRM, competition among Microsoft, Apple, Google, IBM, the
> telcos etc.  Linux is part of the story on most of these, for example,
> Linux is almost free of DRM while Microsoft embraces it and Apple is
> wishy-washy.  I agree that only some of these topics are sanctioned by
> the cola charter, but comparison with competing OS's is one.

The problem is, that's not how MS and Windows are talked of in this group
these days. Comparison is all very well, but constant denigration and
mockery eventually becomes counter-productive.

> You may think that the Vista/Microsoft topic is overdone here, but as
> far as I'm concerned the most negative aspect of this newsgroup as it
> exists is the infestation by Microsoft adoring trolls.  It's
> impossible not to see how their themes and modes of attack are
> coordinated, or how they never disavow the negative tactics used by
> any one of them.  For example, Mr duntov who leads this thread is
> obviously the same as
>
> alan.yunick@xxxxxxxxx, ali.babba.singh@xxxxxxxxx,
> arkady.duntov@xxxxxxxxx, ball.cock.the.plumber@xxxxxxxxx,
> banjo.boy69@xxxxxxxxx, big.momma.thornton@xxxxxxxxx,
> bones4jones@xxxxxxxxx, detective48@xxxxxxxxx,
> garystewart.aka.flatfish@xxxxxxxxx, goldfarb44@xxxxxxxxx,
> heather.banger@xxxxxxxxx, jimserac@xxxxxxxxx, johnnyscotrun@xxxxxxxxx,
> oksana.the.whore@xxxxxxxxx, right.wanger@xxxxxxxxx,
> roy.the.spam.king@xxxxxxxxx, symon99@xxxxxxxxx, sully1...@xxxxxxxxx,
> suzie.linux@xxxxxxxxx, traci.manicotti@xxxxxxxxx,
> udayshankar29@xxxxxxxxx, united4luv@xxxxxxxxx

Undoubtedly.

> and I've only been collecting the names sporadically for a couple of
> months.  The "I tried Linux and it was awful" theme written by
> anonymous posters with a short posting history, exactly as you will
> find on all of the names above, has been going on at least 4 years
> (since I have been looking at this ng).    It's clear that this person
> or persons (I doubt if it is more than a few) intend only to disrupt
> this newsgroup and to stake out negative posts about Linux.

It's a boilerplate bullshit, hardly worth noticing after you've read it
once.

> If this newsgroup were moderated, the first thing I'd ask for is that
> all foul language and personal attacks be forbidden.  That's before we
> talk about content.   That's just my opinion.

I'm not so averse to the language (goodness knows I use it myself
sometime). What's really needed, IMO, is a bit more common-sense and
restraint.

--
Kier