Re: [News] [Rival] Hotmail's Father Goes Against Microsoft's Biggest Cash Cow

____/ Thufir on Friday 23 November 2007 18:38 : \____

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:34:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> It's still in the same broken state (delays and missing mail). Even Doug
>> told me this today. They try to encourage people to 'upgrade' to paid
>> subscription perhaps...
>
> That's an innovative business scheme.  Wait, isn't that kinda like bait
> and switch?

Well, nothing beats good ol' "divide and conquer" and "extend to extinguish"
("tilt into a death spiral" is another). Not at Microsoft anyway. But it
doesn't work with software... that's where you have "forced upgrades"
and "lockin". Microsoft is also learning about services and it's using the
nastiest of strategies there. Surprise, surprise.

                Not. :-)

Microsoft loves competition.
"I’d be glad to help tilt lotus into into the death spiral. I could do it
Friday afternoon but not Saturday. I could do it pretty much any time the
following week."
                --bradsi, Microsoft