Re: [News] Partial iTunes Altenative/Competitor Comes to Linux Desktops

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 22 November 2007 17:06 : \____

>> ____/ Thufir on Thursday 22 November 2007 11:10 : \____
>>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:06:16 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
>
>> Don't forget car stereo, friend's computer, and the 'super' computer
>> you'll have 15 years from now. The 'great' thing (for the Big Media)
>> is that DRMed content 'expires' faster, so you need to buy more
>> 'supplies'.
>
> Looking at the history of distributed a/v media, they all "expired", one
> way or another ... until now.
>
> Ye olde phonographic records had a tendency to shatter, until vinyl came
> along ... which was still susceptible to scratching, and general loss of
> quality over the years. Similarly tape (of various forms) degrades quite
> quickly. But with the advent of digital media, the media itself may well
> degrade (as we now know about the "indestructible" optical disc) but its
> digital contents may be perfectly preserved forever (as long as you back
> it up to new media once in a while).
>
> This of course scares the crap out media moguls because it means they've
> lost their perpetual "subscription" model, hence the continued quest for
> yet more "new formats" and now DRM too. Before, at least they could have
> /pretended/ that the customer was in fact "buying" a "product", but that
> pretence has been thrown out the window now. The gloves are off. You own
> nothing and the media moguls want to ensure it stays that way. Of course
> they've already failed, but as a result of asserting our liberation from
> their enslavement, they unfairly brand us as "criminals" and idiots like
> Ewik support them in that assertion ("it's illegal to play Blu-ray under
> Linux").
>
> You know there is something badly broken in society, when *corporations*
> define the law. But it doesn't matter. They've already lost. They cannot
> sue the whole damned *world*, and most of that world has turned on them.

Recently, the RIAA (and its ilk) has been praising the subscription model.
Gist: pay $xx per month for access to media. Pay, pay, pay. Microsoft and the
software industry want a similar model to prosper because it means that they
no longer need to force you to buy each and every 'upgrade' to their software
(i.e. new version that invalidates and stifles true compatibility in a society
that shares information).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's