Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's OOXML Corruptions Are Back!!!

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 22 November 2007 20:07 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>>> You do realize that Sun or IBM were often the head of delegation in
>>> many countries for ODF, right?
>>
>> Did they bribe too?
>
> No, after all why would they? ODF is an /Open/ format, used primarily in
> Free Software. Those promoting such a standard would have little to gain
> financially from bribery. Even Lotus Symphony is free, and StarOffice is
> little more than OpenOffice with a collection of templates and clip-art.
> The sheer number of ODF adopters [1] (in application development), means
> it would be rather difficult to accuse any /single/ company of trying to
> create some kind of format lock-in.
>
> Microsoft, and their probably-MSO-dependant® Not-Really-Open® Oh-Oh-XML®
> on the other hand ...
>
> Erik and other Microsoft apologists might as well face the fact, that MS
> have been abusing document formats, and other "standards", as a means of
> tying customers to their products for so long, that they are now totally
> incapable of producing a truly Open standard. It's just not their nature
> to do so. How will they lock customers in to their cash-cow without some
> proprietary format, ensuring that MSO is a "requirement"? How indeed :)

Even the horse has spoken.

Halloween Memo I Confirmed and Microsoft's History on Standards

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.os2site.com/sw/info/comes/px09509.zip

> [1] http://opendocumentfellowship.com/applications

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
Mem:    515500k total,   470052k used,    45448k free,     3868k buffers