[News] Linux is King of Most Efficient Big Computers (Almost Total Domination)

  • Subject: [News] Linux is King of Most Efficient Big Computers (Almost Total Domination)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 05:54:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IBM Blue Gene Supercomputers Top New List of Energy-Efficient Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Green500 List Awards Blue Gene 26 of the Top 27 Spots
|
| [...]
|
| The Green500 list is overseen by two professors at Virginia Tech, Kirk
| Cameron and Wu Feng. "The Green500 List is intended to serve as a ranking of
| the most energy-efficient supercomputers in the world and as a complementary
| view to the Top500 List," Feng said in a press release.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other
| countries, or both.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/071121/0331441.html

Related:

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
| (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
| systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than-90-of-top-supercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

Open Source Software, OLPC, and the Importance of Being Green

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm referring to the need for the OLPC XO laptop to be extremely efficient in
| its power consumption. The OLPC laptop is designed to be used in places where
| there is no reliable power grid, or, in many cases, no power grid at all.
| This has challenged the OLPC Project is be very creative in how power is
| generated, stored and conserved.
`----

http://jmbuser.livejournal.com/6764.html

Linux, Windows duke it out over energy efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux appears to have an advantage at the moment: Companies are becoming
| increasingly open to adopting the platform both in the server room and on the
| desktop. Big-name vendors like IBM, HP, and Novell are giving the penguin a
| push in the datacenter, framing it as a flexible and energy-efficient
| platform. The fact that Linux offers greater virtualization opportunities
| than Windows (a sentiment recently expressed by the VMWare CTO Mendel
| Rosenblum) only strengthens the platform's green standing.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/linux_and_windo.html?source=rss

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

$99 Zonbu Linux PC On Sale Today