[News] Latest Mythbuntu Reviewed, Linux Media Centers Made Efficient

  • Subject: [News] Latest Mythbuntu Reviewed, Linux Media Centers Made Efficient
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 05:52:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mythbuntu 7.10 - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Mythbuntu is a relatively new Ubuntu derivative aimed squarely at the HTPC
| enthusiasts. The distro consists of modified versions of XFCE/Xubuntu and
| MythTV. While MythTV has always been one of the best HTPC platforms around,
| it certainly hasn’t been one of the the easiest to install. With Mythbuntu
| 7.10, all that is starting to change.
`----

http://lunapark6.com/mythbuntu-710-review.html

Build an Energy Efficient Media Server

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many energy saving projects, there is some trade-off. But it’s still
| usable, and something that I think I’ll stay with for a while. It’s certainly
| a low end system in terms of performance, but it also uses less than half the
| power used by my previous system. For me, this feels good both from a money
| saving perspective as well as being better for the environment.
|
| If you are the type who will happily live with minor UI performance issues in
| exchange for saving energy, then this type of system is something certainly
| worth looking into.
`----

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/hardware/low-power-mythtv-server.html

Related:

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

Linux Media Center PCs Review Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxMCE vs. MythTV. LinuxMCE is the most amazing thing to come out of the
| multimedia world on any platform, period. But try finding an OEM carrier that
| will sell this amazing product to you, pre-installed. You won't find many.
|
| While the big box stores choose to sell the ever-lame Windows MCE, one
| provider had the guts to step into the ring and truly provide us with a
| viable Linux media appliance suitable for our living rooms. MythTV, while not
| as 'flash-bang-pretty' as LinuxMCE, has been around long enough to find
| itself in the position of being a solid, long-term project with some
| fantastic user and developer support.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2664

Media Portal Xface Skin Version 1.0 | Competition for Vista MCE?

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing about open source software: you never know how people will improve
| it. Take Media Portal for instance. I have tried it but ultimately went with
| BeyondTV to watch TV on my computer. That, however, might change though with
| the release of Xface Skin Version 1.0.
`----

http://www.floppyhead.com/2007/09/29/media-portal-xface-skin-version-10-competition-for-vista-mce/

Remember WMC? Black album cover art

,----[ Quote ]
| It also does too many things on it’s own, which is to be expected from
| Microsoft. XD. It starts to overwrite cover art for every single little puny
| mistake you make in your tags.
`----

http://www.afad.nl/alternate/2007/08/21/remember-wmc/

HP Exits Media Center Business, Drops DEC Line

,----[ Quote ]
| HP is pulling out of the Digital Entertainment Center (DEC) business.
| The company that pioneered the living-room form factor for Media
| Center Edition (MCE) PCs has decided to drop the line.
`----

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/18066.html

Microsoft abandons PMCs

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems Microsoft is abandoning the Portable Media Centre, a format
| that was once considered a possible iPod killer.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/26957/Microsoft-abandons-PMCs

The various levels of suckage - Windows MCE

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://mynutsandi.blogspot.com/2007/05/various-levels-of-suckage-windows-mce.html

`----