Re: [News] Microsoft is Losing to Open Source in DNS Servers

____/ 7 on Wednesday 21 November 2007 23:27 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> DNS security improves as firms tool up to tackle spam
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Infoblox's survey found that the number of internet-facing DNS servers
>> | increased from 9m in 2006 to 11.5m in 2007, indicative of the overall
>> | growth of the internet. Percentage usage of the most recent and secure
>> | version of open-source domain name server software - BIND 9 - increased
>> | from 61 per cent to 65 per cent over the last year. Use of BIND 8, by
>> | contrast, dropped from 14 per cent in 2006 to 5.6 per cent this year.
>> | Usage of the Microsoft DNS Server on web-facing systems also fell,
>> | decreasing to to 2.7 per cent in 2007 from five per cent last year.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/20/dns_security_survey/
>

> Micoshaft now paying web developers about $200 to stick to using their
> servers. I wonder if all those viri infected windopws servers
> are loosing them so much trade that it now
> means its 'profitable' for them to give away $200 to force
> people to stick with micoshaft crap.
>
> I pity those who stick with micoshaft for such bribes.

Microsoft is desperate to pretend that it is actually gaining. If it isn't
illegal, then let them just lose money.

,----[ Quote ]
| Cringely: Microsoft of course. They have the deepest of pockets, unlimited
| ambition, and they are willing to lose money for years and years just to make
| sure that you don't make any money, either. And they are mean, REALLY mean.
`----

http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]
| Question: The OpenSourceParking.com announcement cites a Netcraft
| report, which found that GoDaddy.com's migration from Linux to Windows
| caused Apache to lose server share. Was this event the sole impetus
| for OpenSourceParking.com?
|
| Perens: Not the first. It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
| Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
| using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
| solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
| technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
| GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
| many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
| release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
| offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
| domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
| registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
| other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=15108

Microsoft -- when fraud becomes an international (ISO) standard. APPROVED.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
Tasks: 140 total,   2 running, 137 sleeping,   1 stopped,   0 zombie