Re: Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?

  • Subject: Re: Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?
  • From: Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:52:01 -0800 (PST)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Nov 21, 2:03 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC.
> Traditional PCs Are Too Powerful, Eee PC - Going Back to Basics, Says Asustek
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "I think the chance of surpassing 20% in 2010 is very high because there will
> | be further [Asus Eee] products in the future," said Jonney Shih, chief
> | executive of Asustek, in an interview with DigiTimes web-site.
> `----
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20071120163919_Asustek_Aim...

On a related note:
ASUS Eee PC is America's Most Wanted Christmas Gift

--[Quote]
| The ASUS Eee PC is once again in the limelight. This time,
| it has been billed as America's most wanted Christmas gift
| among notebooks products. Several large American shopping
| websites have started investigating what the average American
| would want as a Christmas gift in lieu of the fast approaching
| Christmas buying season; and the result from the American
| Amazon shopping website and CNET based on 14th of November
| unanimously places the ASUS Eee PC at the top spot on the wish list.
----

http://eeepc.asus.com/en/news11212007.htm

When I went to the Amazon site to buy one it seems that they are on
back-order

Availability: Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver
when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as
soon as we have more information. Your credit card will not be charged
until we ship the item.

After reading the specs, 7 inch display, up to 1/2 gig of RAM, 4 gig
of flash, SD RAM slot, and lots of applications, it's not all that
surprising that these things are hotter than cabbage patch dolls.  The
big question is whether ASUS can ramp up to keep up with demand.

http://tinyurl.com/2uwaha