[News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?

  • Subject: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:03:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC.
Traditional PCs Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asustek

,----[ Quote ]
| “I think the chance of surpassing 20% in 2010 is very high because there will
| be further [Asus Eee] products in the future,” said Jonney Shih, chief
| executive of Asustek, in an interview with DigiTimes web-site.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20071120163919_Asustek_Aims_20_of_the_PC_Market_in_2010_with_Eee_PC.html

ASUS chooses Myer for Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus today announced that it has chosen Myer as the Australian retailer for
| its portable Eee PC.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1373463390&rid=-50

The world is moving from the desktop to laptops, tablets, and smartphones (at
the expense of PDAs) anyway. Vista can't be handled by light mobile devices
and limited battery life.

Related:

Hands-on with One Laptop Per Child's XO

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been quite a fuss made over the XO, developed by Nicholas
| Negroponte's One Laptop Per Child (OLPC). The OLPC vision was to design a
| low-cost, but powerful connected PC in order to provide kids all over the
| world with Internet power. OLPC wants to sell the XO in bulk to third-world
| countries.
`----

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/raskin/15974/hands-on-with-one-laptop-per-childs-xo

Uruguay buys first $100 laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The first official order for the so-called "$100 laptop" has been placed by
| the government of Uruguay.

OLPC developing new 'supercharger'

,----[ Quote ]
| The XO batteries do not work on normal laptops, which can sap up to 40 watts
| of power depending on usage, Jepsen said.
|
| The XO is also the first laptop that uses only alternative energy, Jepsen
| said. Low-cost solar panels are great as a power option where there is plenty
| of sunlight, Jepsen said. Energy is especially scare in developing nations,
| so the laptop will hopefully pass on energy preservation lessons, which could
| help preserve battery life in the XO, Jepsen said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=558184569&rid=-50

LATU Uruguay Buying 100,000 OLPC XO's Over Classmate PC!!

,----[ Quote ]
| We now have the results from the first open competition for government
| purchases of laptops designed for 1:1 implementation in public schools, the
| Ceibal Uruguay RFP.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/uruguay/uruguay_buying_olpc_xo_intel_classmate.html

$100 laptop program still eyes India

,----[ Quote ]
| The so-called $100 laptops for children may make it to India after all.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/10/25/100.laptop.india.ap/index.html

Danish school kid's verdict on the OLPC laptop: It's cool!

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think we could make good use of it in my class," said Karl Emil as he
| tries to grab the XO from us in order to take it to school the following day.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=541246057&rid=-50

'$100 laptop' production begins

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware suppliers have been given the green light to ramp-up production of
| all of the components needed to build millions of the low-cost machines.
| Previously, the organisation behind the scheme said that it required orders
| for 3m laptops to make production viable. The first machines should be ready
| to put into the hands of children in developing countries in October 2007.

Uruguay Children Try Low-Cost Laptops

| Some children began warming to the computers by playing "Tetris," a
| popular falling-blocks puzzle video game. Later they will explore
| the Linux operating system.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070518/hundred_dollar_laptop.html?.v=2

Villa Cardal, Uruguay: Center of worldwide attention

,----[ Quote ]
| The experience was incredible, there are many details to comment
| that I promise to continue blogging in the next days. At the moment
| you can see the gallery of photos that I took in the place.
`----

http://olpc-ceibal.blogspot.com/2007/05/villa-cardal-uruguay-world-center-of.html

Kids In Jiri Love XO [One Laptop per Child]!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/04/kids-in-jiri-love-xo.html