[News] GNU/Linux Users Boycotting Digg.com?

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Users Boycotting Digg.com?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:55:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Digg.com: Divide and conquer the Community!

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’re a digg user, please join me in my boycott of digg.com, they are
| showing signs that they are over-bloated. They can be left with user’s who
| don’t wish to support community, the unimportant ones. Before you leave, make
sure that you’re exit is heard! Help spread the word!
`----

http://www.interfce.com/?p=369

This messages has been spreading to other sites. That possibly explains why it
has been quiet recently in Digg's UNIX/Linux section. It seems like everyone
is moving to FSDaily (Digg clone for Free software).

Related:

Dawn of the Microzealots

,----[ Quote ]
| We "Real" Diggers had heard about groups offering a "service" to get
| your Digg to the front page.
| Why not? It makes perfect sense!
|
| We know Microsoft has a fucking MINT of money, and they have a Massive
| 5 year investment in Vista, not mention all the DRM and proprietary
| dominance that it?s success would firmly put in place.
|
| The biggest threat is the truth about Vista getting out.
| I may not be able to find a smoking gun, or paper trail, but I know
| when some if "fixing" an otherwise democratic process.
`----

http://www.phueque.com/wordpress/2007/01/02/dawn-of-the-microzealots/

Too Digg for their boots?

,----[ Quote ]
| What concerns me is that Digg hasn’t exactly been as Linux/UNIX friendly
| lately. Oh, sure, they have the section and news gets put in it. But it feels
| like less of it is being promoted to even just the technology page lately,
| let alone the front page. And then, when they do, I’ve noticed quite a few
| legitimate Linux/UNIX stories getting buried or pulled shortly after being
| promoted.
|
| Furthermore, Digg has had an increased number of very vocal
| pro-Microsoft/anti-FOSS users commenting lately and it has been hard to find
| a FOSS related story that doesn’t get flooded with anti-FOSS related
| sentiment. It has been suggested on many many occasions in the comments on
| Digg that Microsoft employs (some of) these people to create accounts and
| post pro-Microsoft/anti-FOSS comments.
|
| [...]
|
| So I ask you, is there any way in the world that this new contract could
| improve the situation? Not at all. Who knows what’s in the contract, but
| theoretically there could be something in there about pulling anti-Microsoft
| content in between the parts that cover flooding the site with pro Microsoft
| ads and of course, anti Linux/UNIX ads.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/digg_too_big_for_their_boots

'The Wall Street Journal' digs Digg. Should we read into this?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Wall Street Journal Online is adding Digg buttons across the entire
| site, and you'll now have full (free) access to the articles submitted to
| Digg," Rose wrote. "The Digg buttons have started appearing on WSJ.com
| articles tonight."
|
| The "full free access" part is key. While speaking to investors in Australia,
| News Corp. mogul Murdoch said this week that he planned to release the
| Journal's Web site from its paid-subscription model--when The New York Times
| eliminated premium content earlier this fall, the Journal became one of the
| lone holdouts
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-9816582-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Digg clone crashes - How to crash the clone...

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ivirtuaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9221