[News] A Look at the State of Enlightenment and GUIless/Command-line-only Linux

  • Subject: [News] A Look at the State of Enlightenment and GUIless/Command-line-only Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:53:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Seek Enlightenment for an easy-to-use Linux GUI

,----[ Quote ]
| There are numerous reasons to become an Enlightenment user:
|
|     * You need a GUI on an older machine that is not powerful enough to run
|       the more resource-intensive KDE or GNOME
|     * You want something a little different
|     * You want to control users so they only have access to certain
|       applications
|     * You want a GUI that is stable, fast, and flexible
|
| Those reasons may not be show-stoppers, nor will they see IT departments
| migrating hundreds or thousands of desktops to Enlightenment, but the small
| list above is reason enough to have many making the switch from their typical
| GUI to E.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/tutorials/0,1000002006,39290913,00.htm

How to completely ditch GUI internet applications for the command line

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, terminal-based programs have almost disappeared. GUIs are taking over,
| whether we like it or not. However, there is still a place for the old
| command line. Take the internet as an example: everyone’s using Firefox,
| Thunderbird, and Pidgin for their internet activities. Even though these are
| great, quality, free software apps, they tend to be bloated. That’s where the
| terminal comes in.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/ditch_gui_apps_for_command_line

Related:

Enlightenment Engage Dock

,----[ Quote ]
| Engage is a beautiful dock replacement for Linux. It looks
| high tech, futuristic, and smooth enough to be on anyH
| ollywood blockbuster.
`----

http://pimpyourlinux.com/linux-feature-review/enlightenment-engage-dock/

Initial Implementation of Desktop Icons in E17

,----[ Quote ]
| E17 is maturing, and the TODO that needs to be completed for its
| release is shrinking.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17920/Initial-Implementation-of-Desktop-Icons-in-E17

E17 -- Desktop Enlightenment

,----[ Quote ]
| You need to install E17 in order to fully appreciate the magnificent
| work of the programmers. The direction of changes is very good -- e17
| delivers a nice-looking desktop with many special effects, being easy
| and lightweight at the same time. When compared to its predecessor
| -- e16 -- it shows that the desktop personalization and new effects
| do not have to trigger additional hardware purchases. I only wish Ic
| ould say the same about GNOME and KDE. Also, I have to say that I
| wish the Microsoft products were as stable and functional as e17
| in alpha phase.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/window-managers/e17-desktop-enlightenment/

Elive 0.6.2 development released

,----[ Quote ]
| Between the work still's on new things, Elive has released a new ISO, this
| iso contains basically updates of packages:
|
|     * Packages updated: All the packages to has updates, set to day
|     * Firefox 2: Now called iceweasel is fully implemented,
|       remember that thunderbird is now called icedove too
|     * Flash 9: The first version stable of Flash 9 is released,
|       enjoy it directly on your Elive
`----

http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Main/News/_articles/51.html

Elive 0.5.2 Screenshot Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The beta version of the future Flash 9 is included; update from X.Org
| 7.0 to 7.1; Intel wireless firmware updates for the ipw2x00 models
| of wireless cards; Torus trooper, an amazing game made by Kenta Cho,
| with a retro-futuristic style; Transmission, a small basic
| BitTorrent client...
`----

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/?q=node/24

YDL uses Enlightnement and runs on the Playstation 3

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

When will we hear the end of computer quacks?

,----[ Quote ]
| So why beat the dead skunk again? Check it out: Don Norman discovered
| command line interfaces! And he's about to take his discovery to the
| press! Yes, he thinks this is an original discovery all his own.
|
| [...]
|
| I can't wait until Microsoft invents apt-get so he can fawn over it next...
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=when_will_we_hear_the_end_of_computer_qu&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Geek to Live: The command line comeback

,----[ Quote ]
| The advent of the Graphical User Interface (GUI) forever
| revolutionized personal computing. A windowed system with point
| and click icons made computers usable for anyone who couldn't deal
| with a black screen and a prompt waiting for arcane textual commands.
| But in recent years, this enormous interface change is coming full
| circle. Amongst power users - and more and more, regular Joe's - the
| command line is making a comeback in modern web and desktop
| applications.
`----

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/command-line/geek-to-live--the-command-line-comeback-226223.php
http://tinyurl.com/y88w3w

Who needs the command line? (Well, actually, we all do)

,----[ Quote ]
| "We'll always have Paris", Humphrey Bogart said to Ingrid Bergman
| in the iconic climax of Casablanca - and we will always have the
| command line. Here's looking at you kid!
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/who_needs_the_command_line_we_all_do

Death of the command line

,----[ Quote ]