[News] KDE 4/Kffice 2 Coming to Windows, Progress Report Released

  • Subject: [News] KDE 4/Kffice 2 Coming to Windows, Progress Report Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:26:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE's Windows weapon: KOffice 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| While the industry is distracted by the ongoing tussle between Microsoft and
| OpenOffice.org over document formats, the KDE project is quietly preparing
| the next generation of its own office suite, KOffice, for Linux, Windows, and
| Mac OS X.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1596080362&rid=-50

KDE Commit Digest Issue 79

,----[ Quote ]
| Image support in Parley, and support for formulas in the note feature of the
| Step physics simulation package. blinKen changes capitalisation to Blinken
| for the KDE 4.0 release. Theme work across kdegames, with better collision
| detection in Kolf. More XMP integration work in Digikam. Work on KConfig
| merged back into trunk/. Colour conversion system becomes fully operational
| in Krita. Continued work on the port of the Kickoff menu to KDE 4, initial
| work on a centred-button menu in Raptor. KIOFuse, the KIOSlave filesystem
| bridge
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-10-07/

Yesterday:

Steve Ballmer: "I would love to see all open source innovation happen on top of
Windows"

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Ballmer apparently likes open source. Well, so long as it drives
| Windows revenue. And doesn't replace any. Ever. In fact, as he said at an
| event in Microsoft last week in London that he hopes to see all open-source
| innovation going to Windows, rather than Linux (more below).
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9793052-16.html?tag=more

Related:

Discussion about current state of Plasma

,----[ Quote ]
| Frerich Raabe raised the question on planet KDE what the current
| state of Plasma is. He asks if there is enough code in shape to
| have something ready for KDE 4 and calls for new developers to
| step up and fill this suspect ed gap.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/04/27/discussion-about-current-state-of-plasma/

Shiny Dolphin Mockups

,----[ Quote ]
| Nookie provided some Dolphin Mockups to show how he imagines Dolphin.
| While some of the enhancements do look a bit like a file manager of a
| certain wide spread operating system they do look good.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/04/27/shiny-dolphin-mockups/

KDE4 Devel Live-CD Review: Work in Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiveCD edition of KDE4 clearly shows that a significant amount
| of work has been dedicated to the project already. There is however
| a lot to be finished before the new version of KDE will shine. I
| think that the stability and quality of the SVN version is not a
| big deal -- all development code is unstable and lacks features.
| KDE4 promises to be a modern and functional environment with a
| huge collection of remarkable apps, well integrated with each
| other, starting with a the office suite, though file management,
| multimedia and even programmer tools. Great achievements,
| however, require time.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde4-devel-live-cd-review-work-in-progress/#

KDE 4 Snapshot 04-18-07 Screenshot Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the SLAX-based live CD called KLAX, which he used to develop in
| order to demonstrate new KDE releases, his "KDE Four Live" images
| are based on openSUSE.
`----

http://osdir.com/Article9811.phtml

KDE 4 development Live CD available